Posts tagged jokes.
CASUAL THINGS YOU DO THAT TRIVIALIZE RAPE (SO PLEASE STOP DOING THEM)
- Making rape jokes. Examples: ‘rape is just a struggle snuggle’ or ‘it’s not rape if you say surprise first’ or ‘if you rape a prostitute, is it rape or shoplifting’ or ANY OTHER RAPE JOKE.
- Calling situations that are nothing like rape rape. Examples: ‘that math test totally raped my ass’ or ‘the IRS really raped me this year’ or ‘i would absolutely rape something to eat right now’.
- Questioning survivors. Examples: ‘are you sure you didn’t just change your mind in the morning?’ or ‘I don’t think it’s rape if he’s your boyfriend’ or ‘are you just saying that so you won’t be called a slut?’
- Talking about rape as a positive. Example: ‘I would love to get raped by a hot girl’ or ‘I wish [insert attractive female celebrity here] would rape me’,
- Pantomiming rape. For some reason, the guys at my school think it is the absolute height of humor to sneak up on each other and simulate humping one another while yelling ‘rape!’. PRO TIP: It isn’t funny at all and it makes you look like a complete and total asshole.
- Calling all physical contact rape. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen (usually, but not always) guys at my school engage in minor physical contact like accidentally bumping someone in the hallway or seen two of them wrestling, and one or both will start laughing and screaming “RAPE! RAPE! HE’S RAPING ME!”
This is obviously a very incomplete list, so please feel free to add your own.
PS - If you do any of this stuff, you are an asshole and you need to stop right now
If you laugh at jokes about raping people I will laugh at my fist punching your throat because sure it’s violent and demeaning but I think it’s funny so why aren’t you laughing get off the floor and stop whining I am trying to assert that my desire to make a joke out of your traumatic experience is more important than your pain it’s called Freedom of Speech read a book
So here’s the real reason that rape jokes are troubled territory -
Because rape victims say so.
They get to say that. They get to feel that way. On this, they get to set the cultural rules.
It’s not about right or wrong, or logic versus emotion, or arguments of over sensitivity or hypocrisy - you have the free speech to make whatever jokes you want or talk about rape in whatever way you feel is illuminating. But they get to be upset about it. And call you on it. And be hurt by it.
But consider this:
You get to not be a rape victim.
They, however, are not afforded that luxury. Ever again.
— Chuck Wendig (via thenewwomensmovement)
Here’s a hilarious Helen Keller joke!
Do you know what no one saw or heard coming?
Helen Keller’s radical socialist activism for the rights of the poor, women, the disabled. And so people ignored and belittled her politics. They argued a deaf, blind person could not know what she was talking about. And so they reduced her to the safe story of a young girl who overcame disability, and nothing else.
Wait I mean haha she was blind! How funny.
“There is no such thing as an appropriate joke. That’s why it’s a joke.”
I’m gonna start screaming, “OEDIPUS!” instead of “MOTHER FUCKER!” just to see who catches on.
have you ever read oedipus rex? its a greek tradgedy.
…wait whats the joke?
He was the FIRST motherfucker.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHGUDHACFarfsfgjsdkf literature jokes high 5
I got the joke!
— If This Isn’t From a Book, It Should Be (via gaircyrch)